Won't stay logged in...

Web site news, suggestions, problems and changes.
cgsheen

Won't stay logged in...

Post by cgsheen »

The last few days I've had to log in every time I visit the site. The "remember me" thing isn't working for me like is always has in the past. I don't have the problem on any of the other forums I frequent so I don't think it's my browser...
260Z - L28ET - MS3X ECU, Ford COP w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune optical wheel - T04e .63 A/R, Intercooled - 310cc Injectors - Ultra Heaven Fuel Rail - 14point7 Spartan2 wideband - Coilovers - Big Brakes - 304 Gold Metallic! Sakura Garage, Phoenix AZ
AZhitman

Re: Won't stay logged in...

Post by AZhitman »

It's a setting in phpBB. I'm having the same issue.
58 P220, 63 PL312, 63 NL320, 64 SPL310, 66 411 2-door, 67 SPL311 stroker, 67 WRL411 stroker, 68 510 SR20, 72 S30 RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 89 S13 coupe, 92 SE-R, 97 D21, 98 S14.
insitu_az
Site Admin

Post by insitu_az »

Hi, not sure if I can be much help on this one, but here goes......

Check your browser settings or options tab (usually on the far right side of the top tool bar). There will be an "auto fill" or "security" section that contains a list of your saved sites with user name and password. If https://www.desertdatsuns.net is on this auto fill list it should log you in automatically when you go to the site.

If the site is not on the auto fill list it should show a browser pop-up after you fill out your log in data. The pop-up will ask if you want to save the site log in.

So.... If it did not automatically log you in, and you didn't get the browser pop-up the most likely issue is that the site has ended up on the exceptions or "never save" list. The exceptions list should be right below or above your saved site list. Check that list, and if our site in on that list, delete it. This will force the browser to ask if you want to save the site again, next time you log in.

There is one other possible problem in the saved sites lists. You may have saved the https:// version on one list, and http:// on the other list. If that is the case, delete the one from the never save list, log out and log back in, It should then give you the pop-up to save the site after you fill in your site info.

Good luck....
- Guy
AZhitman

Post by AZhitman »

It's not at the user / browser end.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... -settings/
58 P220, 63 PL312, 63 NL320, 64 SPL310, 66 411 2-door, 67 SPL311 stroker, 67 WRL411 stroker, 68 510 SR20, 72 S30 RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 89 S13 coupe, 92 SE-R, 97 D21, 98 S14.
insitu_az
Site Admin

Post by insitu_az »

Thanks Greg,
I checked the cookie settings when Chuck brought this up, then spent a few hours reading the phpbb forums and looking at our settings. Our cookies are correct, and I have yet to find any other server end issues that cause the problem.
There seem to have been a lot of login related issues when the phpbb first upgraded to version 3.0, but it appears to have stabilized since revision 3.2 (with the exception of 3.2.6 which was recalled and replaced a couple days after release).
We are running version 3.2.5. I have not done the update to 3.2.7, because I wanted to allow some time for any bugs to be sorted.

I use three different browsers to access the board: Chrome, Firefox, and Brave. They all save my login and return me to the site after I close it out (unless I actually log out of the site when closing). I log in as DDadmin from Firefox so that I can see if there are issues that are being masked by my administrators access privileges on this account. It has so far never lost my login credentials on that account either. I have been maintaining a duplicate staging website to test out any new changes, and leave new items such as the photo gallery running there for a few days before installing them on the live site to try not to break anything here. Our host did have a server level update on the 17th, but I didn't see any issues after it came back up. I will run a purge on the cache today before leaving, I haven't done one for quite a while.

Anyways, I suggested looking at the browser settings because I couldn't find any problems in our cookies and/or other board settings. If you or someone else in the club would like to look at the settings, I would be more than happy to have the help and add them to the administrator group.

- Guy
cgsheen

Post by cgsheen »

I'm using Edge in Win10 and it was working fine up until a few days ago. I haven't made any changes and I don't have this problem with any other forum or website I frequent. I don't remember exactly the day and/or time I first had the issue. It still will not login me in automatically. I'll go through my browser settings as much as I can, but I don't ever inspect or change them (I guess I also should not be admitting this "in the open")… I know a great deal about computer hardware and just as little as that about browsers.

EDIT: Just found "manage user names & passwords" desertdatsuns.net is there and correct. There is nothing saved under "autofill" - but I don't know what that is actually for... (but there is literally nothing and all the other websites fill in that crap for me)

P.S. I just found "cookies" and it's set to "Don't block cookies". Now a Chinese and/or Russian hacker is really gonna mess me up...
260Z - L28ET - MS3X ECU, Ford COP w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune optical wheel - T04e .63 A/R, Intercooled - 310cc Injectors - Ultra Heaven Fuel Rail - 14point7 Spartan2 wideband - Coilovers - Big Brakes - 304 Gold Metallic! Sakura Garage, Phoenix AZ
insitu_az
Site Admin

Post by insitu_az »

Ok. You picked the one browser I have never used. lol

I went to the site, logged in, and after I logged in a pop up appeared at the bottom of the page asking if I wanted to save the pass word. I answered yes....

I then looked at Settings/advanced settings/view advanced settings and under "Autofill Settings" I have "Save Passwords" - ON

Right under that, I clicked "Manage Passwords" it shows a little key and "desertdatsuns.net" and immediately below that my user name. This is what auto logs me in to the site.
- I went to another site and then returned a couple of times. Auto login worked....
- I then did an actual logout from the board and came back. It did not auto log me in, but my login name and password were saved at the bottom of the page and I only had to click the login button to log back into the site. This is how it "should" act.

I next went back to Settings/advanced settings/view advanced settings and under Manage Passwords I deleted our site.
- I went to another site and returned to our site and it logged me in without having to enter my name and password again.
- Next I logged OUT of our site and went to another site. When I returned to our site, it did NOT auto log me in. This is also correct since I had deleted our site from the "Manage Passwords" list.
- I went ahead and entered my user name and PW and the pop up box appeared again at the bottom of the screen. I told it to save the PW, and now it does the auto-login again. So far so good.....

I went back to the "Manage Passwords" list and deleted the site again.
- Everything worked as before. If I simply closed the page and came back it auto logged me, but if I actually logged out from the site it required that I re-enter my user name and PW. This time when the pop-up appeared at the bottom of the page I selected "Never" instead of saving the PW.
- Now it would no longer do an auto login. I checked the "Manage Passwords" list and the site was not on the list.

- I found that in order to make it save the site and password again, I needed to go to settings/clear browsing data and under "Choose what to clear" I selected "passwords". After doing this, when I logged back into the site and entered my user name and PW the pop up box appeared again and I was able to tell it to save my password again.
- The auto login was working again, and when I checked the "Manage Passwords" list our site had been saved there again.

SO.... If you can, try going to settings/clear browsing data and under "Choose what to clear" select passwords, and hit the "clear" button. then log in to the site and when you get the pop-up at the bottom of the page tell it to save the PW. I think this might fix the problem.....

- Guy

p.s. This likely will clear the PW form other sites also. Sorry....
AZhitman

Post by AZhitman »

Thx Guy -

The only reason I mentioned that is I also have a phpBB board... we've been down this road.

I'm using Chrome, seems to be the only site I have the issue with. It's not logging me out necessarily, as my browser is set to auto-login. But, it still won't take me directly to any links that a logged-in user could access (such as 'new posts'.)

I'll keep looking at my settings, but I suspect it's something wonky at the host level. Certainly doesn't reflect on your skillz - we're glad to have you!
insitu_az
Site Admin

Post by insitu_az »

Do you know how long you have been having login problems? Maybe I can tie the issue to something that way. We had a Linux upgrade on the host server on the 17th, and our MySQL data base was upgraded June 24. Either of those could have caused issues with user accounts (particularly the MySQL upgrade). I also have several extensions running in addition to the base phpbb, but have a fairly good idea when I activated each of them, so maybe one of them is causing a problem.

As far as skills, I'm afraid that I am pretty limited there. I did use phpbb a few years ago, but switched to another platform after a couple of months. I have been trying to fix some of the issues we had on the old site, like photo posting and scheduling events, but keeping it stable is always first concern.

Again, if you would like to have a look at the setting let me know, and I will set up access for your account.

- Guy
AZhitman

Post by AZhitman »

Hi Guy -

For me, it started when we switched to .net.