Against all odds

insitu_az
Site Admin

Against all odds

Post by insitu_az »

Ran across a fairly good copy of "Against all Odds" today. This is the Nissan USA copy of the film, the color is not great, but much clearer than most of the copies you see online.

I was an Alfa fan in those days, and remained so up until the mid 80's (owned a Guilia Sprint and two Alfetta GT coupes). The Florida Alfa club had a really premium parking compound at the Sebring races back then, and it was a perk for being an owner. The 12 hours of Sebring was awesome, and the Alfa compound looked right out at the pit exit and finish line.

Anyways... I digress. Every 510 forum should have a link to this classic documentary......

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rujxd5Grxb4&t=9s[/media]

Enjoy...
Randalla

Re: Against all odds

Post by Randalla »

Really great period video. I'd seen this a few years ago but it was fun to watch it again. Thanks for posting.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Great video. Thanks for posting.
Ryanotown22

Post by Ryanotown22 »

Holy cow that last race was amazing. It looks like the Alfa’s lifted a wheel in a lot of corners compared to the 510. He really pushed the 510 to the limits
Ryan
‘78 280z sold
‘75 280z
insitu_az
Site Admin

Post by insitu_az »

The Alfas had a really odd rear suspension with a solid axle that was supported on struts. It had a sliding lock assembly on the differential to keep it centered. It was prone to lifting the inside wheel, because the axle had a loop wrapped around it to limit how far it could drop down when the body rolled. The loop had no play, so that when you hit the limit of body roll in a corner, the momentum would pick the wheel up.

When the Mazda RX2 showed up in IMSA and SCCA GT2 racing a couple years later, they had a somewhat similar rear suspension design and also lifted the inside wheel when cornering.