What I did on my Datsun today

General Club Discussion
Randalla

Re: What I did on my Datsun today

Post by Randalla »

Bob, thanks for posting your improvements. Always enjoyable to read and see pictures of project work. Anxious to hear what performance improvements you notice. Will we see you at the breakfast this coming Saturday? I noticed you mentioned Teflon tape to cure a slight fuel leak at the gauge. I've used this in the past as well, but have read recently that the white tape can degrade and plug fuel filters. Are you using yellow PTFE fuel grade tape or a different product? Really nice clean work!!!
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
theAngryMarmot

Post by theAngryMarmot »

Instead of the tape - I like to use "RectorSeal" paste #5. They also make a tape - but the paste is my goto. It is typically used to seal natural gas fittings and the like. You can find it at the Home Depot in in a yellow tube.

Put a little around the fitting, install, and then wipe off the excess.

That, and my inner 5 year old loves the same as it sounds really funny.

https://rectorseal.com/rectorseal-no-5-group/
Turboman280

Post by Turboman280 »

theAngryMarmot wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:16 am .....That, and my inner 5 year old loves the same as it sounds really funny.

Just keep it away from your tailpipe.
Carl
1975 280Z restomod
Work in progress
SCARZME

Post by SCARZME »

theAngryMarmot wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:16 am Instead of the tape - I like to use "RectorSeal" paste #5. They also make a tape - but the paste is my goto. It is typically used to seal natural gas fittings and the like. You can find it at the Home Depot in in a yellow tube.

Put a little around the fitting, install, and then wipe off the excess.

That, and my inner 5 year old loves the same as it sounds really funny.

Thanks for the tip. I've heard the teflon tape can degrade as well, might give your paste a try....once I stop giggling over the name....
Bob - Payson
72 240Z
74 260Z Turbo-Scarab
71 510 Wagon (project)
67 Roadster VG30 swap (sold)
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Just don’t get any on your clothes or upholstery. It’s virtually impossible to get out.
Randalla

Post by Randalla »

Paul Taylor came by yesterday to help me make final preparations for taking the Roadster to the Solvang show next weekend. The fuel gauge has never read accurately since I restored the car, and the horn had stopped working. We pulled the sending unity out of the tank to inspect it and the windings appeared dirty, and testing it with a multi-meter showed, when moving the float manually, that the Ohm measurement was jumping all over the place. Cleaning the windings with a brush, and soaking the unit in EvapoRust did the trick and now the gauge reads perfectly (showed 1/4 tank prior to fill up, and right at full, after). The horn issue turned out to be a blown fuse, but in the process of tracing the issue down Paul re-assembled the complicated horn button components so it now works better than ever. Thank you Paul for your expertise and work. Enjoyed hanging out with you.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Have a great time at the show. Take some pics.
theAngryMarmot

Post by theAngryMarmot »

Randalla wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:30 am Paul Taylor came by yesterday to help me make final preparations for taking the Roadster to the Solvang show next weekend. The fuel gauge has never read accurately since I restored the car, and the horn had stopped working. We pulled the sending unity out of the tank to inspect it and the windings appeared dirty, and testing it with a multi-meter showed, when moving the float manually, that the Ohm measurement was jumping all over the place. Cleaning the windings with a brush, and soaking the unit in EvapoRust did the trick and now the gauge reads perfectly (showed 1/4 tank prior to fill up, and right at full, after). The horn issue turned out to be a blown fuse, but in the process of tracing the issue down Paul re-assembled the complicated horn button components so it now works better than ever. Thank you Paul for your expertise and work. Enjoyed hanging out with you.
My pleasure as always Randy!
Rob1972

Post by Rob1972 »

I bought my '72 ZCar 25 years ago, and I've been smelling strong exhaust fumes for everyday of those 25 years. At first, I didn't care, then I cared but didn't do anything, then I bought new hatch seals and installed those about 7 years ago which made absolutely no difference. I was demoralized, so I bought tail light gaskets but was too busy to install them. After that, I misplaced them, so without seeing them I promptly forgot about them. Now, a few years later, having found them again, and having time (well not really - more like "I'm so dxxx tired of these headaches and I really don't want to die of C02 poisoning") - I put on my big boy pants and replaced them.

As suspected, the old gaskets were stiff, cracked and torn. With the new ones installed, the fumes are down by about 75%. I've still got other openings to address (doors, firewall, header gasket) and I have a fog machine to help find the little cracks and crevices.

Maybe tomorrow?
Robin

'72 240Z original L24 and SU's, 5-speed, 4.11 gears
Duffman

Post by Duffman »

Robin, maybe bypassing the fuel evap tank could be the final solution? I did it years ago and it made a huge difference for me. Can discuss tomorrow.
Z vent tank removal.jpg
Z vent tank removal.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Duffman
1970 240Z, #1399