Float-Sync revisited

240Z through 300ZX Z31
Randalla

Float-Sync revisited

Post by Randalla »

Some of you may know I created, manufactured and sold the Float-Sync tool for guaranteeing the fuel level in each carb is set properly and identically to each other. I sold out the first 50 sets pretty quickly lat time around and decided a couple of months ago to produce another 50 sets. I'll have quantities available for sale in the next two weeks. They will likely go very quick. For anyone interested, PM me and I'll save one for you. They will be $69.95 on Ebay but only 59.95 for club members.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
RBCS

Re: Float-Sync revisited

Post by RBCS »

Looks like its been quite awhile since your post about another manufacturing run of your Float-Sync product, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm restoring a 1973 Datsun 240Z, with a pair of 1972 round-top SU carbs and intakes, bolted to a 1977 280Z head, and it is coming along nicely, but your Float-Sync tool looks like it would be a great help getting my floats set just right. I'm at the point now where this is one of the last details I need to deal with before trying to fire it up again.

At the beginning of this process I was having trouble with the float bowls overflowing and sending fuel out the vent lines. I'm lucky I didn't burn the car up, or myself.

I got a pair of the Walker carb rebuild parts kits, but had some issues with them. The kits sent by the vendor weren't quite right, and the needle valves were not a perfect match. Seems there are several size variants. In my case, the needle valve in the front carb is about 1/8" longer than the rear one. The ones sent to me were the same length. I had to bend the tab on one float excessively to get it to measure the same float height as the rear one, which didn't seem at all right to me.

Doing more research on Walker's website, I found there are indeed two different kits for my configuration, and neither of them are the kit part number that was sent to me. Everything is the same in these kits, except the needle valves.

I contacted Walker technical support, and they were good enough to send me the correct pair of needle valves, no charge. Great customer service!

Having gone through all this trouble, I'd really love to have a pair of your Float-Sync tools to make sure the floats are set exactly right.

For future reference of anyone needing to know:
The rebuild kits I originally received from the third-party vendor were Walker part number 15566, which had the incorrect needle valves.
The kits I needed are part numbers 15567 for the front carb, and 15568 for the rear carb. The longer needle valve of the two goes to the front carb.

The Walker part numbers for the individual needle valves are 31-607 for the front carb, and 31-604 for the rear carb.