Wiring harness

Vetteguy22

Wiring harness

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Hi guys,
I’m trying to wrap up my 510 build and am wanting to rewire the car since the original harness is in sad shape. I checked wire painless wiring and they say they don’t have anything that will work. Not even their universal kit.
What have others done?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
cgsheen

Re: Wiring harness

Post by cgsheen »

I can build you a new harness, but how quick would you need it? PM me if you'd like.
Last edited by cgsheen on Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
260Z - L28ET - MS3X ECU, Ford COP w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune optical wheel - T04e .63 A/R, Intercooled - 310cc Injectors - Ultra Heaven Fuel Rail - 14point7 Spartan2 wideband - Coilovers - Big Brakes - 304 Gold Metallic! Sakura Garage, Phoenix AZ
theAngryMarmot

Post by theAngryMarmot »

You should be able to just use something like an American Autowire "Highway" system.

They are universal harness in 15 or 22 circuit systems. I have installed many of them in a variety of vehicles.

The only issue I can forsee is the connectors for things, but if you save the old shells the terminals can't be too hard to find.

I would go American Autowire over Painless, they AA kits are really nice, well priced and the instructions are great.
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

You are the second one to recommend AA. I have looked into them and am seriously considering going that way.
Thanks,
Rob
theAngryMarmot

Post by theAngryMarmot »

I have legitimately installed probably 100+ of their harnesses. Everything from factory replacement stuff for 60s/70s cars to their highway 15/22 systems and never had an issue. They have the best instructions of any wiring kit I have installed, and that makes a ton of difference.

They even sell the crimper tools that make it easy to get nice crimps (I recommend these, or something like the Astro #9477) for most of their terminals. The only odd thing is AA's two wire terminals - I have yet to find a tool that does a good job on those except for the tool they sell specifically for them. Cheap crimpers will not do the job, so it is worth the small investment to get good ones. I also recommend it IWISS HX-50BI crimper for larger diameter wire/cable. 25 bucks on amazon and does an awesome job for AWG 8 - 1 cables like battery and starter lugs.

I usually install the fuse panel first, then lay the wires out where they all need to go. For covering the wires I highly recommend Painless Wiring's "PowerBraid" covering as it looks really nice and is durable. I usually slip a piece of heatshrink over the end to give the covering a nice "finish" as electrical tape never lasts long, makes a mess. This requires a bit of planning but is well worth the effort.

For anything running near a heat source / starter I use "asphalt covered wire loom" you can get them to order at O'Reilly's and it isn't very expensive. It is made by "Standard" and comes in a few different diameters. It isn't "split" so you have to think ahead to use it but it adds a really nice OEM heat protection look.

If you have any questions let me know, I am happy to answer.
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Thanks for the info. It was very helpful.
Are you going to attend the Baghdad run on Saturday?
If the weather here allows me to get my 510 out, as in no snow, I will be going.
Rob
theAngryMarmot

Post by theAngryMarmot »

i am attending the bagdad run.
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Great, hope to see you there,
Rob
Charlie69

Post by Charlie69 »

The problem you run into with the aftemarket harnesses is with the way the turnsignal, brake, tail and emergency flasher are wired.

When you want to to a trailer with a Datsun you have to run a converter box because of the way these lights are wired. Datsun wiring harnesses switch the gound instead of the hot in lighting circuits.

If you want to use an aftremarket over the counter wiring harness be prepared to buy an aftermarket turnsignal/flasher switch to install with it.