76 280Z Project - First Start in 5 Years!

240Z through 300ZX Z31
pogden

Re: 76 280Z Project - First Start in 5 Years!

Post by pogden »

Ryanotown22 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 am The rattle.. could you possibly have the Ryan rattle it’s all too famous around here lol. when I changed my transmission it was making crazy noises even had doc come over to listen it was at the back of the motor front of the transmission .. turns out I didn’t torque my flywheel bolts down properly and it was rattling around.. and when I say didn’t torque I mean they were finger tight at best...
Possibly. Doc had the same thought. I would really be happy if that's all it is.
1976 Datsun 280Z 3.0L Stroker
Randalla

Post by Randalla »

Peter, if you decide to pull the trans, I believe I have 2-3 collars of different heights in my parts bins.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
pogden

Post by pogden »

So, Randy and I removed a wide-ratio 5-speed from a parted out 280ZX a few weeks ago. My thought was to replace my noisy close-ratio with it, drive it for a while and then decide whether to try to fix the close-ratio or not. My son and I swapped the gearboxes last week, drained it and refilled with Redline MT-90. We drove it up and down the street a couple of times, ran through all gears smoothly, then pulled into the garage to tighten the alternator belt which had started to squeal.

When we backed out for another drive, I could not get it into 1st. I am able to select 2nd, 4th and reverse, but not 1st, 3rd or 5th, even with the engine off. Yesterday I bled the clutch slave again and checked the pedal free play (just in case), but it didn’t help.

Unless anyone has any bright ideas, I guess I’m looking for a transmission shop that knows the FS5W71B. Doc recommended Reds out in Buckeye - I’ll call them in the morning. Any other recommendations?
Ryanotown22

Post by Ryanotown22 »

Interesting you could not get it into gears that require you to move the stick down. Is anything in the way or binding when you look from in the car into the transmission hole? Sounds odd but maybe something fell and is blocking the downward motion of the stick.
Ryan
‘78 280z sold
‘75 280z
Ryanotown22

Post by Ryanotown22 »

To add look at it while it’s in the car without the shift boot or anything in the way. make sure that the shifter rod is in nice and firm with the little bolt piece and c clip there should be no wiggle. Maybe even take the shifter rod out and make sure it’s seated properly when you put it back in. Just wild guesses here
Ryan
‘78 280z sold
‘75 280z
cgsheen

Post by cgsheen »

pogden wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 pm ...
When we backed out for another drive, I could not get it into 1st. I am able to select 2nd, 4th and reverse, but not 1st, 3rd or 5th, even with the engine off. Yesterday I bled the clutch slave again and checked the pedal free play (just in case), but it didn’t help.
I can't imagine all three forks or fork rods having the same issue. It must have something to do with the shift lever itself or the "striking rod", "striking lever", or "striking guide". Sounds like there's something behind the "striking rod" that's limiting it's backward travel. But, if you remove the shift lever and push the "striking rod" forward (shifts it into 2nd, 4th, or reverse) you may be able to see if there's anything in there behind the rod.
260Z - L28ET - MS3X ECU, Ford COP w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune optical wheel - T04e .63 A/R, Intercooled - 310cc Injectors - Ultra Heaven Fuel Rail - 14point7 Spartan2 wideband - Coilovers - Big Brakes - 304 Gold Metallic! Sakura Garage, Phoenix AZ
pogden

Post by pogden »

Ryanotown22 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:55 am ... Is anything in the way or binding when you look from in the car into the transmission hole? Sounds odd but maybe something fell and is blocking the downward motion of the stick.
I haven't taken the console out yet (just put it back in, for the 17th time, last weekend, after taking it and part of the dash apart trying to figure out a problem with the gas gauge, which turned out to be the sending unit). I did forget to mention that that after this happened, I removed the pin that holds the gear stick in place and checked that it was seated properly. However, now that I think about it ... the e-clip that secures the pin was missing (I must not have clicked it properly into place during the last transmission swap). I wonder if that little b@stard fell into the mechanism somehow and is causing the problem? Thanks for the idea!
Ryanotown22 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:01 am To add look at it while it’s in the car without the shift boot or anything in the way. make sure that the shifter rod is in nice and firm with the little bolt piece and c clip there should be no wiggle. Maybe even take the shifter rod out and make sure it’s seated properly when you put it back in. Just wild guesses here
I was avoiding taking the console out (to get past the outermost shift boot, etc.), but I guess it's coming out for the 18th time. The shift rod is firm (I put new brass bushings in), but the missing e-clip is a problem. Again, good call.
cgsheen wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:20 am I can't imagine all three forks or fork rods having the same issue. It must have something to do with the shift lever itself or the "striking rod", "striking lever", or "striking guide". Sounds like there's something behind the "striking rod" that's limiting it's backward travel. But, if you remove the shift lever and push the "striking rod" forward (shifts it into 2nd, 4th, or reverse) you may be able to see if there's anything in there behind the rod.
Agreed - no way it's all three forks or fork rods. Weird stuff happens, but that would be too weird. The console is coming out, so we'll have a good look and see what gives. Maybe it is that little wayward e-clip, and if it is (and I can get it out), woo hoo!

Thanks, guys.
Peter
pogden

Post by pogden »

Yep, that was it. That little e-clip popped off and was funneled by the innermost rubber boot right down behind the striking rod. Retrieved it and reinstalled it properly and now it’s back to being a 5-speed.

A 5-speed with a new problem. It pops out of 2nd gear. Sigh.
Ryanotown22

Post by Ryanotown22 »

Wooo one thing at a time at least you can shift now. I lost one of those clips also for about 5 days ended up in the spare tire area when it shot off...
Ryan
‘78 280z sold
‘75 280z
Racerx3110

Post by Racerx3110 »

Any updates on the transmission saga?
It can be soo frustrating when you're seemly going in circles!
1977 280z RB25det Neo