Guy's totally slow restomod.....

Vetteguy22

Re: Guy's totally slow restomod.....

Post by Vetteguy22 »

I also have a good set of front rotors for the 280zx struts if you need some. $25 for the pair.
Rob
insitu_az
Site Admin

Post by insitu_az »

All summer and nothing....

Have not worked on my 510 much this summer, so nothing to show there. I did score a glove box lamp that is pretty cool though. Got it from a guy in Sendai, Japan who sells on the Australian Ebay site under the name tokyo-2u.

Although the USDM versions of the 510 typically lacked a glove box light, there is an indent in the upper left corner to mount one. It seems that the JDM, Australian and European models all came with it as a standard feature. Seems that the U.S. frequently lost out on little upgrades like this in order to keep the car in the desired price range.

Just about done tiling the floors in our house, and looking forward to cooler weather so I can get back to work on my car.

- Guy
Glovebox_Light-01.jpg
Glovebox_Light-02.jpg
insitu_az
Site Admin

Megasquirt

Post by insitu_az »

Been working a little on floor mounts for BMW E30 sports seats. Hoping to finish that project up in the next week or two. In the mean time, I have actually finished something. :shock:

I completed assembly of my Megasquirt ECU. I wanted to do the kit, since I used to enjoy soldering and electronics in general. I must say that my eyes were a lot better when I was younger. Anyways with the help of a magnifying loupe, I finished soldering and have assembled all the components. I still need to go through it with the simulator card to test all the functions, but it is good to be done with the assembly. The harness will have to wait until I rebuild the engine, which I may start on this winter ( I have most of the parts accumulated now, just need to send the block out for boring).

I had a list of things I wanted to do with the ECU:
- sequential spark
- sequential fuel injection
- use MAF for air/fuel control
- allow for wide band O2 monitoring
- retain the Nissan 360 slot trigger wheel in the cam angle sensor
- have additional I/O for the variable valve timing and idle air control valve
- have CANbus interface available for later expansion

With that list in mind, I chose the MS3X kit for my project. It has the clock speed and power to handle the 360 slot trigger wheel, all the I/O for my wants, and has built in CANbus. The 3X also adds a couple of extras such as an SD card to save data for offline tuning and closed loop control for boost and air/fuel mixture.

Megasquirt MS3X
Megasquirt MS3X
cgsheen

Post by cgsheen »

Nice! Welcome to the MS3X club. I've built and/or modified four Megasquirt boxes so far. I've always liked soldering up electronics projects.

Please consider using the 14Point7 Spartan 2 wideband if that's something you haven't already purchased. Carl Smith turned me on to it, and I've been using it with my MS3X for quite some time. It has a calibration check at startup so you can always be sure it's feeding Megasquirt the correct AFR info. I'm really happy with mine.

I've been using the DIYAutotune "chopper wheel" to replace my L28ET disc, but I modified an L28ET distributor body to accept the RB CAS and optical wheel some time ago. I think I'm going to try that since MS supports it in firmware. Your post helped me make that decision - so, Thanks!
260Z - L28ET - MS3X ECU, Ford COP w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune optical wheel - T04e .63 A/R, Intercooled - 310cc Injectors - Ultra Heaven Fuel Rail - 14point7 Spartan2 wideband - Coilovers - Big Brakes - 304 Gold Metallic! Sakura Garage, Phoenix AZ
insitu_az
Site Admin

Post by insitu_az »

Thanks for the info on the Spartan 2 wideband. I read the information on their site, and it was nice to see the discussion on interfacing it to the MS3X. I also see that Speedhut supports the controller with their gauges. I think I will give it a try also.
- Guy
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Hi Guy,
If you are thinking about Speedhut gauges, I might be able to get you a deal since I’m a dealer for the.
Let me know if I can help.
Rob
insitu_az
Site Admin

Post by insitu_az »

Thanks Rob,
I am planning on using Speedhut gauges. I will get with you when I am ready to pull the trigger on some of them.
- Guy
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Glad I can help out.
Rob
insitu_az
Site Admin

Interior makeover

Post by insitu_az »

Seat Rails

I finally finished the seat rails to hold my E30 Beemer seats. I will restore the seats later. :D

The BMW E30 seats have a mechanism to change the tilt of the seats, they are a bit taller than the original 510 seats, and to improve leg room, they need to be mounted a bit further towards the rear. So, I wanted to level the rails from their original position which slopes down at the rear, move them towards the rear a couple inches, and get them as low to the floor as possible.
I tried a couple methods to get what I wanted to happen, and finally settled on two rails mounted cross ways in the car. The floor on the 510 is anything but flat, so I made anchor pads for the rails that bolt down to doublers in the flat areas along the door on one side and along the transmission tunnel on the other. I made the rails from 1/2" x 2" steel channel, welded nuts inside where needed, then welded the channels together to form a tube 1" x 2". Each end of the tube has a leveling pad to make up for the various levels the floor has in it.

Drivers side seat in place.
Drivers side seat in place.
Passenger side showing rails in place
Passenger side showing rails in place
Keeper nuts welded inside the tube
Keeper nuts welded inside the tube
Doubler for mounting
Doubler for mounting
Vetteguy22

Post by Vetteguy22 »

Seat tracks look nice.