Lower Door Hinge Repair

SCARZME

Lower Door Hinge Repair

Post by SCARZME »

Has anyone used this kit to make hinge repairs?

https://showmeclassicparts.com/catalog/ ... Kit-DS6706
Bob - Payson
72 240Z
74 260Z Turbo-Scarab
71 510 Wagon (project)
67 Roadster VG30 swap (sold)
SCARZME

Re: Lower Door Hinge Repair

Post by SCARZME »

I can now report that this kit works perfectly to cure the sag and keep the door from flying open in the wind. It contains all the bits to fix both upper and lower hinges on one door.
It took a bit of work to remove the main hinge pin. Worked up from a ball peen hammer to a 5 lb sledge with no movement of the pin. Tried soaking in penetrating oil overnight, nada.
Finally was able to use my 12 ton press to break the rust free so I could continue to push the pin out with a punch and hammer. But first had to figure out how to jury-rig the hinge in the press. Problem is that the hinge surface at the pin is not at 90 degrees so the hinge kept getting pushed out of the press before any pressure could be brought to bear on the pin. I was using a old chinese 3/16 socket under the pin so the pin had somewhere to go when it broke loose. So I used my bench grinder to grind down the opening surface to match the angle of the hinge so the hinge stood perfectly vertical in the press. Then I used a tiny nut on top of the hinge to give just enough clearance for the press to push the pin until the press contacted the hinge surface. I wasn't completely comfortable with the setup so I stood behind a barrier while pumping up the pressure and PRESTO!, the pin moved!
Where there's a will, there's a way.
Bob - Payson
72 240Z
74 260Z Turbo-Scarab
71 510 Wagon (project)
67 Roadster VG30 swap (sold)
Randalla

Re: Lower Door Hinge Repair

Post by Randalla »

Ingenious Bob! Way to stick to it till you found the solution. I had one of those impossible challenges working on my dune buggy recently. Really satisfying when you finally succeed.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6