Intro from Prescott

240Z through 300ZX Z31
Randy Buckner

Intro from Prescott

Post by Randy Buckner »

Hey Y-all-

I bought my '72 240Z back in 1980 from the second owner, who had done a fair amount of trashing it. I did get to meet the original owner which was pretty cool. Over 2-3 years I did mods and restoration, then several more years later, had Rebello Racing do the stroker job to 2.8L. I used it back in the SF Bay Area until we moved here back in 1993 and drove it to work mostly until 2009 or so. I got a used G35 to use while pursuing a re-restoration but never got to it. A couple of years before the lacquer paint job was beginning to crack and fail so I redid it but the primer ate into the old paint and destroyed it so was going to sand it all the way down and start over.

It has been dormant quite awhile and I've made attempts to get it going. I also had taken it off the road as the original SU's were working poorly. Took them off and had Z Therapy redo them. Rebello ground the needles for more flow and for the sea level I was at and as it always ran rich up here at 5500 feet we decided to use a more standard needle, SM I think. Also I changed the stock exhaust manifold to a Motorsport 6 into 1 ceramic coated header and took off the intake manifold to clean it all up. The smog gear was long gone at this point. I could not get it to idle, having to use the maintenance screw to keep it running and at 2000 RPM or more only.

Having had some old gas get into the carbs the Grose valves stuck shut so the bowls had to come off, several times, to remove and clean them up. I know I bent up at least one float and wasn't exactly sure how to reset them but carried on. I wondered if there wasn't enough fuel in the bowl so it was maybe starving. So my recent thought was to get a sight glass when I came across Randalla's very nice ones and was kindly invited to join. I still haven't messed with it. I'm retired but run a side business and am super busy right now - not to mention it's been pretty hot for a heat wimp like me even up in Prescott!

I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I will keep it or sell it once it's running right. I will post another thread shortly with pics and what's been done to it.

-Randy
Randy Buckner

Re: Intro from Prescott

Post by Randy Buckner »

Not long after purchase in 1980, started the work. There was a nasty tear behind the rear wheel. I had a buddy who was a bodyman so he did the metal work. I scored a door and dashboard from a 73, the door is on here.

The interior was stripped and cleaned out, it was a mess! Later I painted it Imron black. The initial body filler is on.

Flares on and initial filler applied.
Randy Buckner

Post by Randy Buckner »

Current sad state!

Years ago went to 16 x 7 wheels and 225/45 Falken's.

Engine bay from the passenger side. Also has a new aluminum radiator.

Momo steering wheel and changed gauges out to AutoMeter ones. I cut the input coupler from an extra speedometer out and built a slotted interrupter wheel to go on the back and fitted an opto-interrupter to get pulses out for the electronic speedo. Also I had to make an adapter printer circuit board with microcontroller to convert the resistance from the stock gas tank float to what the guage needed as there was no direct part.
Randy Buckner

Post by Randy Buckner »

Engine bay from driver's side.
Randy Buckner

Post by Randy Buckner »

OK, lists of mods by area...

Chassis
Lowering springs installed back in 1980.

Front suspension rebuilt about 10 years ago and not many miles. Includes new front sway bar (1"?), new aluminum TC mounts, new bushings. All pieces removed, cleaned, wire brushed and painted with Eastwood chassis black paint. Crossmember also dropped and stripped/repainted. New Tokico Illumina struts and offset bushings for camber correction.

Cross drilled front rotors and Toyota 4 piston calipers.

Rear strut bar. I slotted the strut mounts to correct camber and the bar reinforces the chassis metal.

Stainless steel front brake hoses and clutch slave hose.

Issues: I had to really tighten the fittings on the clutch hard lines to get it to bleed - probably need redone.
Recently noticed super low forward brake reservoir but no puddles on the garage floor, so hmmm......

Body
Molded on flares and rear spoiler. I cut back the side pieces originally to flow better with the body lines. I made oak wood fillers and installed with stainless steel screws and fiberglass with epoxy resin.

All marker lights removed and filled. The "Z" roof pillar emblems are back lit with red LEDs that come on with the lights.

Louvered service compartment lids.

I had steel tube bumpers made up but they are in storage.

Euro taillights and front parking / TS lenses.

I do have rear window aluminum louvers!

Metal and the rocker panel at rear wheel well fronts has had rust ground out and new metal welded on and blended in.

Issues: Paint! Dead electric antenna. Super slow wiper motor.

Interior

I do have a new carpet set somewhere and used tool compartment doors. I had cut the metal around those doors years ago, trying to install 6x9 rear speakers. Those were ditched as the bass response was poor.

Issues: Seats need reupholstered. I had them redone in cloth originally. Cracked dash.

Alpine 120W mono sub amp although the sub is long gone. The head unit only works sometimes.
Randalla

Post by Randalla »

Hi Randy, Glad you made it here and posted such a complete picture and description of your car. Looks like you have a lot of nice parts/modifications. I had a few thoughts after reading your posts. First and foremost, when things cool down in the next month or so, and you have the time, I'm thinking a few of us could drive up and help you make some headway on the key issues you mentioned. Sounds like you've done a lot, but that some of it may need to be re-done. Still sounds like your car could be back on the road and running quickly. There's a ton of knowledge on this site and with this group. Don't think you should sell the car till we all have a look and can provide you a better picture for you. Thanks for posting up! Regarding the fuel level in the float bowls, you'll note in the instructions that came with your Float-Sync, once they are installed, you measure the fuel level from the top of the aluminum block to the highest level showing in the sight glass. The optimal measurement is 9/16" or 14 mm. Feel free to call me anytime if I can help. 602-312-4038
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
Racerx3110

Post by Racerx3110 »

Welcome to the forum! Randy is right, there are smart Datsun folks here!
1977 280z RB25det Neo
Randy Buckner

Post by Randy Buckner »

Thanks so much for the welcome! I sure appreciate the offers for help too. I would not mind a visit from any interested members - sounds like fun. It would help if I read the instructions, wouldn't it?! :D I'll post if I get to messing with it. Gotta dig up pictures of the all blue paint that I have and just as it started failing. I had it color sanded and polished up nice too :cry: :cry: :cry:
Randalla

Post by Randalla »

Lets definitely stay in touch and we will put something together for this Fall.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
L320-Dale

Post by L320-Dale »

Yes, Welcome!
You have done a ton of work on the car over the years. Keep it and get it back on the road. :)
Dale - Gilbert, Az
1965 L320 - Bamboo Tan / 1972 1200 - Sun-light Blue / 1970 240Z - Silver