RPM Act

General Club Discussion
theAngryMarmot

RPM Act

Post by theAngryMarmot »

I don't know how many of you have/haven't heard about this but here is the link :

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

Basically what the EPA is attempting to do is "ban" the ability to modify any production car for racing use. This even extends to engines that come out of production cars. Basically if it has a VIN number you can't touch it. It is a blatant and obvious over-reach and shows what happens when government agencies are allowed to run amuck.

Recently several "high profile" youtube channels for automotive shops have been hit with giant fines. For example PFIspeed (check out Brent's youtube - he is am amazing human) was hit with 18k dollar fine for selling 37 Hondata ECUs (which are completely legal....) Mind you - he just sold them - he didn't install them (which I don't see as a offense either...) The EPA's letter (which he posts fully in a video) makes it sound like they are doing him a favor and the fine if he doesn't comply would be 180k dollars. JH Diesel was hit with a 20k+ dollar fine. There is even a clause in the threat/fine/letter that says by paying the fine he admits guilt and has to cease all automotive activities. So basically they say either pay us - or we will bury you, and by the way - don't do what you love, make a living at, or employee people to do ever again.

As someone who has made their living most of my adult life building / modifying / and racing cars I find this infuriating. Brent's lawyer who represents these cases all the time basically confirms the EPA only goes after small shops as they do not have the funds to fight it in court. They are using a law that they got passed two administrations ago that was meant to go after large auto manufacturers trying to "cheat" emissions testing - by twisting it into a weapon to go after us - and the industry that supports our lifestyle. The thought that an agency like the EPA thinks it is a worthwhile venture to basically destroy the livelihoods of small business employers, employees, and their families is a sickening abuse of power.

I e-mailed Debbie Lesko (our representative) about the RPM act and I was surprised to hear that she was a co-sponsor. She sent me an e-mail back (and it was surprisingly personalized - not an auto-generated "thanks for your concern" message) explaining her involvement in co-sponsoring and gave a brief synopsis of how the EPA is abusing it's power.

I strongly recommend that you spend 5 minutes and e-mail her (or use the automated link on the SEMA's site I posted above) and let them know that you support the RPM act.

This isn't some spam message, nor is it an over-reaction. This is serious as the ramifications are already being felt by many small shops and business owners.
Randalla

Re: RPM Act

Post by Randalla »

Thanks for making me aware of this. This has implications for a business I am a partner in. I've passed this on to my partners and have responded to our government representative.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6