Selling a car in Arizona

General Club Discussion
Randalla

Selling a car in Arizona

Post by Randalla »

In the course of buying and selling cars in AZ recently, I've learned a few things have changed in terms of the process and state requirements. Below is a guide that may save some of you the aggravation I've experienced this past year. As you'll note, this is for areas that have emission testing requirements.

Selling a Car in Arizona (The Valley)

• In Arizona, you may no longer pass an open title when selling to a new buyer without first titling the car in your own name and taking ownership of the car.

• To re-title a non-collector car that you will insure conventionally, you must present a current, clean emission certificate, a notarized title from the car’s previous owner and you must pay at least one year’s registration fee.

• To re-title an older, collector car that you will insure with collector car insurance, you must present a notarized title from the car’s previous owner, proof of current classic car insurance (exempting it from emissions), and pay at least one year’s registration fee.

• If you purchase the car from a dealer, you will also be required to pay sales tax on the car’s selling price.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
Turboman280

Re: Selling a car in Arizona

Post by Turboman280 »

I ran into this a few years ago when I bought my Z. Used to be you could title a car without licensing it.

They wanted an emissions test to transfer the title. I explained that the car did not run, and that it would not be prudent invest the $ to make the car run and get through emissions if I did not own it yet.

I think they gave me the option to tow the car down to certify that it did not run, or to go the collector car route. The latter seemed the better option.
Carl
1975 280Z restomod
Work in progress
L320-Dale

Post by L320-Dale »

Wanted to bring up this informative thread that Randy started.

I had an interesting experience getting a title at a 3rd party MVD today. I bought a small used motorcycle and wanted to transfer it into my name, get plates and a title. I ended up leaving with a paper "temp plate" because the lady said they are no longer issuing plates, they all come through the mail now. Ok....

Then I asked for my title and she said they no longer issue titles. If I wanted a title I would have to request on online and pay a fee. This all seemed strange to me, but I did as she said.

When I got home I called the official MVD office and talked to a very nice lady. She said this was all correct. My plates will arrive in about 2 weeks. But Arizona is moving towards an "Electronic Title" state. She told me for now I can still request a paper title and they will print one and send it out (4 weeks). But no title will come if not requested. The Lady at the official MVD office says this changed as of April of this year. She also mentioned in the not so far future, they will not issue paper titles at all. Everything will be electronic. According to her, several states are doing this already.

Just seems kinda weird to me. I guess in the future if you sell a vehicle there will be a generic form to fill out with the vehicle info and then have it notarized, then give that to a buyer.

I don't know..... seems to open up a can of worms to me, but maybe I'm just too old school?

Anyway, just passing along info and a heads up.... maybe your next used vehicle purchase or sale will feel a little different.

Dale
Dale - Gilbert, Az
1965 L320 - Bamboo Tan / 1972 1200 - Sun-light Blue / 1970 240Z - Silver
Randalla

Post by Randalla »

Dale, I have run into this as well since I originally made this post. I've been using a third party for a while now. I just went in to get the title transferred on the Tucson 240Z a couple of weeks ago. In terms of the timing to get the title registration and plate, they told me 3-4 weeks to, but it only took 2 weeks (under promise, over deliver policy I'm guessing). I did get a paper title without asking for one and no one mentioned they were transitioning to paperless titles. I'm like you, I want a hard copy in my hands that I can keep in my files. I guess this means we are becoming dinosaurs Dale. :lol:
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
dat521

Post by dat521 »

i always choose 3rd party facilities when getting title transfers or bonded titles on vehicles i buy