86 720 Daily Driver

320 through 720
Charlie69

86 720 Daily Driver

Post by Charlie69 »

I had plans on driving this truck up to Williams this year for the Route 66 JDM Classic but I am swapping a Z20 mileage engine and trans that I purchased from a wrecking yard in and found out Friday evening just before I pulled the old engine that the intake manifold that came with the engine was a Z24 and will work in a pinch but will not last as the shape does not work with the port shape on the head.

I am still going to come to the Classic just truck less.

Here are some pictures of the engine after cleaning, painting, and tear down to fix problems of previous owers assembly.

Yes This is a completely remanufactured engine from the wrecking yard.

The 86 king cab I need to take new pictures as I installed the red doors of my 85 parts truck.

Coyote Patrol

Re: 86 720 Daily Driver

Post by Coyote Patrol »

Looks like you did a nice job on that engine!
Charlie69

Post by Charlie69 »

I purchased this remanufactured engine from a junk yard for $180. It was dirty and would move slightly but would not make a full revolution. I tore it apart and found the hydraulic tensioner shoe out of its block binding up the chain. Improper installation.

Went ahead and pulled the head and found the while rotating the crank there was a tight spot so my brother and I torn down the short block and checked all the clearances and also arranged the rings in the proper order. The rods had numbers stamped in them and these # did not correspond with the cylinder order. Found 1 rod cap on back wards. Reassembled the engine correctly and it turns just fine now.

I received a manifold from Wayno in Washington. and will get it cleaned up this week. I am ordering a new Weber DGEV 32/36 this week and should have it ready for Installation the following weekend.
Charlie69

Post by Charlie69 »

I am getting close to having this engine ready to install. My brother Garret welded up the hole in the oil pan that the junk yard made to drain the oil. The new Weber arrived with the wrong adapter plate. I have the new correct adapter a 2 piece which I do not care for. I will use this temporary until I see if Mike Klotz can make me a one piece. I will also have him make a one piece billet adapter to fit my Z24 Weber on my 84 720 King cab.

The cast adapter s crack easily if over tightened.

I wil post some pictures soon.